Sunday, October 28, 2018

Tokyo flea market

One of my favourite activities while traveling/in life is going to flea markets, so it's maybe not a surprise that I made sure to go to at least one while I was in Tokyo. This will probably be the first of many flea market posts on this blog.

Early(ish) on a Saturday morning, I set out to catch a train from Komagome.

_IGP8032

Saw a couple of cuties about to start their day.

_IGP8033

I took the JR loop to the Tokyo Monorail line, and got off at Oikeibajo Mae. There was a lot of interesting stuff going on here: a mix of high rises, canals, wide open water, and horse stables.

_IGP8039

_IGP8037

_IGP8050

As I left the station, this sign assured me I was heading in the right direction.

_IGP8040

After a quick once-over, I located some yakitori and takoyaki, which I ate on a curb.

_IGP8041

_IGP8042

I wish I'd had the nerve to take some better pictures from the less sparse areas of the flea market, but this was the general setup.

_IGP8048

Life imitates art.
   _IGP8046

I bought a really beautiful speckled bowl from this man reading a newspaper.

_IGP8049

All in all, this was one of the best mornings I had in Japan. I found a lot of cool things (mostly breakables) that I carried around for the rest of my trip. I also found it weirdly easy to bargain with the vendors, despite that not really being a thing in Japan, and despite my extremely limited Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment